[photo of a prepped f/cat for spay]
OvarioHysterectomy is the medical term for spaying female cats. The procedure consists of surgical removal of the ovaries and uterus.
If ovaries are not removed, the bothersome heat periods still occur even though pregnancy is impossible.
Surgery is usually performed at 6-9 months of age. The main reason is the obvious prevention of pregnancy and the heat periods,
but is also used in cases in ovarian and uterine cancer and infection.
- Preoperative physical
- Recovery is generally uneventful, and the hospital stay is fairly short.
- The patient is prepped, placed under general anesthetic and a heart monitor is attached.
- The doctor makes a small incision on the stomach.
- The ovaries and the Fallopian tubes are removed.
- Then two layers of internal sutures are placed.
- Then your pet is allowed to wake up gently with one of our staff present.
- After a few hours of recovery they are allowed to leave.
- Your cat will go home warring a Elisabetian collar than can be removed after 10 days time.
Please call if you have any Questions or concerns about having your female dog spayed.
Appointment needs to be made 24 hours prior to surgery, the dog(s) must be fasted over night.