Neutering is the surgical removal of the testicles. The main advantage of neutering are that the tendencies toward
aggression and roaming (especially when around females in season) are lessened. When a cat is castrated just before sexual maturity at 6-8 months of age, his sexual instincts are reduced, and he becomes sterile.
(However, castrated cats may still want to go outdoors to hunt. The objectionable urine odor of the mature male cat the tendency to “spray” or “mark territory” with urine is also reduced.
- Preoperative physical
- Recovery is generally uneventful, and the hospital stay is fairly short.
- The patient is prepped, placed under general anesthetic and a heart monitor is attached.
- The doctor makes a pair of small incisions on the scrotum.
- The testicles are removed and the blood vessels are tied off.
- Then your pet is allowed to wake up gently with one of our staff present.
- After a few hours of recovery they are allowed to leave.
Please call if you have any Questions or concerns about having your male cat neutered.
Appointment needs to be made 24 hours prior to surgery, the cat(s) must be fasted over night.